Dr. George Fort was a pharmacist, physician and postmaster of New Egypt. He
later became governor of the state.
Fort credited himself with the separation of Jackson Township in March of 1844 and Plumsted (New Egypt) Township in 1845 in a letter
written to the editor of the New Jersey Courier in 1866.
Fort was one of the three initial members of the Jackson Township Committee who first met in April of 1844. (the other members were William Frances
and John Bennett).
Fort wanted to name the township, Johnson, after Colonel R. M. Johnson, but Judge Allen of Goshen (later called "Cassville") insisted upon "Jackson"
and Fort finally agreed.